Summer and fly-in programs for high achieving students
Note: For all of these wonderful programs you will need at least one or two letters of recommendation.
Spring programs with an Engineering Focus
* Spring Engineering Education Days (SEEDs)- Spring program for Sophomores and juniors to explore engineering through interactive Saturday workshops. Free of charge to participants. Students who have not yet committed to future engineering study and who have had minimal exposure to engineering topics due to lack of access are invited to apply. Applications due February 1, 2017
Summer programs with a Math, Science or STEM focus:
- Summer Engineering Seminar - Santa Clara University - This special summer experience is for high school students (who have completed 10th or 11th grade) may be curious about engineering. The program is designed to acquaint participants with the engineering profession, the academic expectations of college and the nature of life at a university. Applications due March 1, 2017
- Young Scholars Program - Santa Clara University- This summer program allows high school students to enroll in engineering-related college level courses during the summer. Courses include engineering, as well as math, science, business and humanities courses. Applications due April 21, 2017
- COSMOS - California State Summer School for Mathematics and Science. Applications is available in January and due in March.
- Harvey Mudd College -"Fall Fast Program" (Future Achievers in Science and Technology) for seniors (application is due in August) Spring FAST Program for juniors - (application is due in March).
The Programs include Class Visits, Research Lab Demos, Overnight stay in one of our Residence Halls (Fall FAST only), hands on Experiments/Workshops, HMC student activities, and much more. Most importantly, participants will have the opportunity to interact with HMC students, professors and other college-bound students who share their passion for Math and Science.
The FAST Programs are absolutely free, and participants receive a Fee Waiver for their HMC Freshman Application.
- MITES at MIT University - Summer program that is free but students are responsible for travel expenses to and from MIT. Students apply during their junior year. The application is available on November and due in February.
- Smith College - Summer Science & Engineering Program for high school girls. Application is available in January and due in April. SSEP is open to academically talented girls who will enter grades 9, 10, 11 or 12.
- SMASH Academy - SMASH is...
- A three-year 5-week summer math and science enrichment program.
- For high achieving, low-income high school students of color.
- Focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Successful in preparing scholars for college and achievement in higher education.
- Free of cost.
- Applications are available in February - Due in March.
embARC Design Academy at UC Berkeley - embARC is an intensive, four-week summer design academy for high school students held at the College of Environmental Design (CED). embARC brings together students from diverse backgrounds to CED to study architecture, urban design, and sustainable city planning through a series of lectures, field trips and a design:build studio.
Fly-in Diversity Programs:
- Amherst College - Diversity Open House Weekend
- Explore Bowdain
- Bucknell University - Across Extremes/Issues of the 21st Century - A free conference for high school seniors! All participants must be able to attend the entire conference. Everyone will attend the Open House and experience a day on campus by participating in an activities fair, having lunch with students, talking with faculty members at the academic fair and taking a facility and campus tour.
- Discover Swarthmore: For Juniors - the application is available in June or July and due in August. This is a fly-in program for prospective students for a weekend in the fall of their senior year.
- Dartmouth Bound: This is a fly-in program for a weekend in the summer. Application is due in May - you apply the spring of your junior year.
- Prologue to Bates - If you are interested in Bates College, they are offering a free fly-in program for seniors. This opportunity is specifically geared toward first generation college goers or multicultural students. The application requires a letter of recommendation from your counselor.
- Discover Middlebury College Program - Deadline for applying will be in September.
- Oberlin College & Conservatory Visit and Multicultural Visit Programs - Fly-ins available in the fall of your senior year.
- Window on Williams (WOW) Program - Priority submission deadline is usually in July.
- Whitman College Visit Program - Application is available in August. Travel scholarships are available.
Summer Writing Program:
Juniper Institute for Young Writers - Amherst, MA
Iowa Young Writers Studio - University of Iowa
California State Summer School for the Arts - Creative Writing & Performing Arts
Summer Young Writers Workshop - Bard College Simon's Rock
Schwanke Institute - University of Montana
Summer @ USC - University of Southern CA